Thursday, March 10, 2011

Time spent with an old love!

Sometimes it is nice to take a break from doing what it is that we do all the time.  For me it was taking a couple of days off from making garters.  I spent a delightful few days going back to my passion for Victorian Ribbonwork and created these lovely flower appliques.  I used original 1920's Double-faced silk satin ribbons for the rose, the cabachon rose and the ruffled roses, as well as some of the buds.  And for the other buds I used a lovely vintage pale lilac silk ribbon with a small design in it.  The calyxes and the leaves were made from vintage french wired ombre green ribbons.  And all flowers are stitched to crinoline, just as it was back in the 1920's when ribbonwork was so popular and ladies attached little appliques similar to these to their lingerie, pillows, night caps, garters, well... you name it, and there most likely was some kind of ribbonwork on it!  Oh my,  how utterly feminine!






3 comments:

  1. hello again! what a lovely blog and very pretty pieces. congrats on your new shop and I look forward to "visiting" again via the blogsphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Am So Glad You Are Back! I was so sad when I saw you had gone:( I look forward to following your lovely new blog. Thank you so much for letting me know you were back. Have a nice weekend! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see your beautiful new blog Debby. And Wow!!! Your ribbonwork is as beautiful as always! This is going to be great having you here again. Just like old times!
    sending my love...

    ReplyDelete